Remember the metal covered book I made at the fabulous class I took at Volcano Arts last spring? I decided to make another one ... all by myself ... without the instructor telling me what to do every step of the way.
I didn't think to take pictures early in the process, but here's one photo of all of the parts, ready to assemble. The copper covers have been cut, sanded and patinated. The decorative brass elements have been similarly prepped, but have no patina on them. I etched a fern pattern on the small nickel silver component. When these pieces and parts were all ready, I took them out to Rick's shop to use his drill press. (I think I want one of those) While in his shop, I used his torch to make ball headpins from 14 ga copper. My little torch would barely make that gauge of wire hot!I keep this work table covered with unprinted newsprint (purchased in rolls from the ADN), unless I'm using a torch, of course! The paper is great for making quick notes and writing down measurments. In the far background you can see the original book that I made in class. Next to it is a set of radial bristle discs for polishing the metals. In front of that are the six signatures for the text block. You can also see the vise and nail-set that I will use to set the copper headpins. When set , they will be the rivets that hold the parts together.
This is the same bunch of stuff, just a different anlge. Off to set those rivets!