Wednesday, January 14, 2009

A Snippet of a Map....

brass mixed media necklace jewelry kingsbridge
It's been quite a while since I listed a mixed media piece in my etsy shop, so I decided to do so yesterday. The techniques for this piece (and all of the mixed media pieces in my shop) were inspired by a class I took with Linda and Opie O'Brien at Artfest 2007. That class was an eye-opener for me. I learned that I didn't need a whole studio full of new and expensive tools to do some basic metal work. Just a few simple tools would work just fine.

I have a pile of patterned papers that I constantly scan for interesting segments. I use the small piece of acrylic as a "lens" for viewing these patterned papers. The colors found in this little snippet of a map appealed to me and I thought they would look good on a brass background.

Using some skeleton leaves, I textured the brass in my rolling mill. I then patinated and sanded the brass to accentuate the pattern. After gluing the image to the back of the acrylic panel, I used tiny eyelets to attach the acrylic panel to the brass. Add a few beaded dangles and some lovely brass chain and voila! A fun and whimsical necklace.

By the way, Kingsbridge is in Devon, in the southern part of the UK.

This necklace is for sale in my etsy shop. You can click on the image to go directly to the listing.

1 comment:

Shirley said...

Wow! How beautiful, Vicki, just beautiful!