Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Words

I've never been interested much in poetry ... until recently.

While at Artfest in the spring of 2007, I was was busy with workshops that resulted in finished products. I hammered, I bent and twisted wire, I glued, I cut, I bound a book, I applied patina and I set rivets.

While I was busy creating tangible objects, my friend Chelline attended a poetry workshop. In the evenings, we sat around sharing stories of our days. I was intrigued by the poems Chelline wrote. She read them out loud. One of them made me cry, others brought a smile to my face. The instructor of her workshop was Susan Wooldridge.

It's taken almost two years, but last week I purchased Susan's book Poemcrazy. This book was the foundation for the worshop Chelline attended. I'm loving the practice exercises in the book.

During my walk with Xena this morning, I said words aloud ... random words, words describing things I saw, things I felt, words that sprung forth from other words. What a liberating experience.

I'll keep you posted on my poetic journey ...

3 comments:

Mimi said...

Sounds like a great book, Vicki - off to find it myself! :-) Thanks for the post! Peace, Sue

Mimi said...

Vicki - this was the "quote of the day" that was in my email today: "Poets don’t draw. They unravel their handwriting and then tie it up again, but differently."
— Jean Cocteau

And guess what?? You've been TAGGED!! Stop by my blog and get instructions, sweetie! :-))
Peace,
Sue

Shirley said...

You, my friend, are special!!