Friday, April 9, 2010

A Bunch of Dragonflies

Trying to work efficiently, I decided to make a bunch of these similarly designed dragonfly necklaces.  There are actually two distinct styles of necklaces.  One batch has the brass dragonflies wired to carved bone buttons.  The other batch uses textured copper as the backdrop.

I found the bone buttons at one of the gem shows in Tucson.  I was looking for more abalone buttons, but did not find any of decent quality.  These bone buttons are interesting and the neutral coloration should make them good sellers.  I suspended them on dyed silk ribbons.


I textured the copper with a combination of real, dried leaves and skeleton leaves (the kind you find in the scrapbooking section of the craft store).  I had better luck with the skeleton leaves, but this is a destructive process.  I went through quite a few leaves.  Oxidizing the copper highlights the texture.


I used rivets in the holes I drilled to attach the chain.  It gives the pendants a more finished look.


These will be for my shows later in the year, not for the etsy market.

9 comments:

DVArtist said...

Hey vicki bone and brass how can you go wrong with that??
Have a great weekend
Nicole/Beadwright

brokenteepee said...

Oh, I was thinking that with a touch of sparkle they would make lovely Christmas ornaments.

Unknown said...

Gorgeous, Vicki. Love the ribbon use!

Cindy Lietz, Polymer Clay Tutor said...

Dragonflies are such a beautiful image for jewelry. I love how you combined them with the buttons and the copper. You sure do gorgeous work!

Jewelry Making Tools said...

Amazing--what a great idea with the silk ribbons, I've been thinking about using ribbon in my jewelry but I hadn't thought of silk! beautiful work with the copper :)

Orion Designs said...

Thank you all so much! These are a lot of fun to make and go pretty quickly - especially the button ones. For those of you that are interested, I bought the ribbons from http://dabeads.com/

Vicki

Diane said...

These are wonderful, Vicki. Love the dragonfly.

Pretty Things said...

Those are absolutely stunning!

dining table said...

Those are very beautiful pieces! These are a lot of fun to make!