Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Brand New and Very Special Necklace



I started using some of my new Tucson purchases as soon as I arrived home. Well, after I unpacked them, sorted through them, ogled them, fondled them and logged them into their appropriate spreadsheet. It was exhausting!

This brand new necklace features some of those purchases. I was going to say "favorite purchases", but then I realized that I can't say favorite every time I refer to a gemstone. It loses some of its meaning when overused.

Anyway, the large faceted drop is bi-color quartz in shades of purple. I used tiny rondelles of tanzanite and spinel for the clustering around the top. They move a little, which helps to show off the inherent sparkle in these gemstones. As I was adding these rondelles, I was trying to cover the sterling silver wire that is wrapped around the top of the quartz. I kept finding "bald spots', so I kept adding rondelles. As a result, there is a generous number of these rondelles.

The colors of the tanzanite and spinel coordinate perfectly with the quartz drop. I may have to make another one of these to keep for myself. Click on the photo to go directly to the listing in my etsy shop.

2 comments:

brokenteepee said...

You are just having too much fun!

Shirley said...

It's breathtaking, Vicki!