Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Destashing Some Vintage Goods

Rick and I used to go "outside" (that's what Alaskans call going to the lower 48) for 2 months every winter to visit family and goof off. Then I got tired of being away from my home and my stuff for such long periods of time. It was a real challenge getting used to staying in the frozen north country for the entire winter, but now I've become a real homebody and have no desire to leave for anything longer than 2 weeks!

The one thing I really miss is antiquing. There is such a limited number of antique stores in Anchorage and the inventory doesn't change often enough to warrant visiting more than twice a year.

While driving the California coast, I found this little treasure at an antique store in Monterey. At the time, I thought I would use the ration coupons in a piece of mixed media art. I discovered that I have a really hard time using things that were once so personal to someone and their family. It feels like I'm exposing them, somehow. Hopefully, someone else will be able to use these historic papers in a meaningful way.

They are listed in my other etsy shop. Click on the photo to go directly to the listing to see all the coupons in the packet.

2 comments:

brokenteepee said...

Wow. Amazing it survived, huh?

cindy shake said...

I just bought the Ration Book! I couldn't bring myself to use it in my Assemblage work either -BUT I did get it for Derek's US History classes. He's putting together "trunks" of vintage items to teach along with certain units in his high school classes -cool huh?! This is perfect. THANKS!