Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Lampwork Obsession

Yes, my obsession with lampwork glass beads has abated over the past few years, but I still cannot resist when I see something super special.  Something I have not seen before.  Something outside my color comfort zone. 

Against my better judgment, I went to the Best Bead Show while in Tucson.  The reason this is problematic is that I know I will not look at gemstones there -- it's not the show to go to for gems.  The primary reason to go to that show is for the lampwork.  Like I need more lampwork to ogle.  You see, I rarely use lampwork beads in my jewelry because I can't seem to part with those lovelies.  Most of them become part of my private collection.  And I admit that I love having them in my studio. They make me smile. They make me happy.

I defy you to say this bead does not make you happy:

 
Yes, it's really, really long:


I don't even know how I would use it in a finished piece if I wanted to!  But not to worry -- the rest of it's life is dedicated to making me smile.

The artist is Dvora Silberman.

3 comments:

brokenteepee said...

I see it as a fan pull or something like that...

I love the color.

You don't want to know about my lampwork box. I think it weighs 10lbs

Brandi Hussey said...

I feel the same way, Vicki. There are certain lampwork beads that I don't know if I can part with...

Unknown said...

Love it! The shape reminds me of the sea urchin spines we find on the beach. Very cool.