Thursday, July 30, 2009

Personal Choice

We have all made many personal choices in our lives. We make them every day. These are some that I've made and try to hold true to.

I don't drink Starbucks. On the rare occasions that I buy coffee "on the go", I prefer to give my business to a local coffee roaster. To me, Starbucks is the Walmart of coffee companies. They've done their best to put local coffee sellers out of business all over the country. Plus, I prefer the taste of Kaladi's, one of Anchorage's best roasters.

Speaking of Walmart, I don't go there. All you need to do is see the play (or read the book) Nickel and Dimed by Barbara Ehrenreich and you will probably feel the same way I do about Walmart.

I buy lots of beads at my local bead stores. They often do not have better prices or better selection than I can find online. But I can go in and purchase a single strand of something or even a single bead in some cases. They give me a discount because I have a business license and I'm a member of the Alaska Bead Society. I know that cuts into their margin. They are helpful when I have a technical question. One of them offers an amazing array of classes with teachers from all over the country as well as plenty of local instructors. I'm glad they exist and I like to support them.

I buy things from other artists and crafters, local and not so local. When I need (need?) a new bag, I know I can find great leather bags from two different Alaskan crafters. And Etsy is full of talented bag makers as well. I own a few ... cough.

I have not used supermarket soap in over 12 years. I first tried handmade soap when I met Carol in 1997. Now, there's just no going back to mass produced soap. She spoiled me. She is my business partner in Bad Girls of the North and a maker of fine soap. I've also purchased soap from several Etsy sellers and other Alaskan soap makers.

Well, that's a good start. What personal choices have you made that you feel strongly about?

2 comments:

brokenteepee said...

I have not bought a loaf of bread in I can't remember when. The hubby roasts all of our coffee and we grow all of our vegetables. I haven't bought milk in several years either :). I make all of our ice cream. And soap. heh heh

Anonymous said...

Great post, Vicki! I have been wanting to buy more locally lately - you have given me some inspiration! My daughter and I are headed to the Saturday Market this weekend for some local finds. I'm sure we'll find some awesome stuff!