Thursday, March 17, 2011

Vintage Finds

I reported for Grand Jury selection today, along with about 150 other people.  There were several people I knew there -- 4 of us know each other from the Alaska Bead Society!  What are the odds of that?? Anchorage has a population of almost 300,000 as of the last census, so this seems quite remarkable. 

Anyhoo, I did not get selected.  This does not have anything to do with me, the selection process is completely random.  I'm only slightly disappointed.

Moving on ...

I've been meaning to share some of these great vintage finds from our trip to the southwest in February.  I found this beautiful little metal box in an antique store in Apache Junction (at least I think that's where it was!).  The metal is probably base metal with a worn gold plating.  I adore the huge red hunk of glass adorning the top.  This is a really cute item, measuring only 1 3/4" x 1".



This next item also has a huge hunk of glass, only this time it's purple.  I scored on this antique scarf holder in a store in Prescott.  This makes up for the fact the I know I overpaid for the red box :)
This baby has a diameter of about 1 3/4".



This next item was given to me by a friend in the Alaska Bead Society.  It's a not-too gaudy, but quite large brooch featuring clear glass hunks.  This one, I plan to deconstruct for use in a mixed media jewelry project.  It is 2 3/4" long and would probably rip a hole in any article of clothing you tried to attach it to!


3 comments:

Ina in Alaska said...

The little box is beautiful & so fascinating. Such a tiny treasure. I wonder what stories it could tell. It reminds me of an antique ruby ring that I wear.

Anchorage is indeed a small town. I frequently run into someone I know whereever I go. Thanks for sharing your treasures!

DVArtist said...

Hi V. So glad you got out of jury duty. I love the finds. I use to live in Apach Jct. and Prescott.
Have a great weekend
Nicole/Beadwright

brokenteepee said...

I can't believe I missed all these posts.
My reader has been all wonky which is probably why.

I love the little box. It's just so cute.