One of the rubber stamping yahoo groups I belong to initiated a 3 month challenge, starting in October. The requirements for this first phase of the challenge were to use a rubber stamp from The Stampsmith, have a Halloween theme, use a file folder and include some stitching. Fine, I thought. I have lots of stamps from the Stampsmith and I have file folders. But Halloween? I don't usually do holiday specific projects. And sewing? I don't sew unless my life depends on it.
I always have trouble with the 'blank canvas', so the first thing I did was spray that file folder with black webbing spray. Ok, I'm onto something here. I sponged on some colors -- orange, green and purple. Then I randomly stamped some leaf images in similar colors. Next, I looked through my catalog of images from the Stampsmith and decided that Bette Davis looked quite witchy, especially when I can only remember seeing her in Whatever Happened to Baby Jane. Then I found this great image of the Wicked Witch of the West from The wizard of Oz, and I was just about done. The BOO! stamp was from the $1 bin at Michael's. The minimal stitching is fuzzy fiber that I added along the sides of the folder using a simple blanket stitch. Voila! I've met all the requirements and I love the results!
(It's hard to see, but under the Bette Davis image are the words "Good Witch".)