Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Stampsmith October Challenge

One of the rubber stamping yahoo groups I belong to initiated a 3 month challenge, starting in October.  The requirements for this first phase of the challenge were to use a rubber stamp from The Stampsmith, have a Halloween theme, use a file folder and include some stitching.  Fine, I thought.  I have lots of stamps from the Stampsmith and I have file folders.  But Halloween?  I don't usually do holiday specific projects. And sewing?  I don't sew unless my life depends on it.

I always have trouble with the 'blank canvas', so the first thing I did was spray that file folder with black webbing spray.  Ok, I'm onto something here.  I sponged on some colors -- orange, green and purple.  Then I randomly stamped some leaf images in similar colors.  Next, I looked through my catalog of images from the Stampsmith and decided that Bette Davis looked quite witchy, especially when I can only remember seeing her in Whatever Happened to Baby Jane.   Then I found this great image of the Wicked Witch of the West from The wizard of Oz, and I was just about done.  The BOO! stamp was from the $1 bin at Michael's.  The minimal stitching is fuzzy fiber that I added along the sides of the folder using a simple blanket stitch.  Voila!  I've met all the requirements and I love the results!


(It's hard to see, but under the Bette Davis image are the words "Good Witch".)

No comments: