Sunday, November 30, 2008

Dark Cards

This first dark card features the Metallic Echo technique from the February 2006 issue of the Technique Junkies newsletter. I have a huge stash of black cardstock from one of my LSS that closed a couple of years ago (Diane - remember that clearance sale we went to?) and I'm determined to start using it up! The black panel is mounted on shiny silver cardstock, then on brushed gold cardstock. The sentiment is embossed in silver and mounted on gold cardstock and some huge silk flowers.

Then I found a scrap of Opalite Smoosh (February 2005 newsletter) where I used only the silver and gold colors of Opalite Ink Pads. Perfect for this Black Day! I embossed a simple image from Stampin' Up! in black and used three layers of cardstock to highlight the panel. Little bits of ribbon in silver, gold and black were used to "dress it up". Finally, I mounted this on gray cardstock on which I sprayed black webbing spray. I did this outside because of the fumes and you should have seen the surrounding snow when I was done!

The last card is a bit unconventional for a holiday card. It features a variation of the Aged Metal technique from the February 2008 newsletter. I started with pearlized cardstock, embossed in the Cuttlebug. I swiped a copper inkpad over the raised parts and obviously missed a little and some ink ended up in the low parts too. I decided I liked it this way. I added a little gold ribbon and a scrap of "joy" ribbon across the lower third. I topped that with a sweet image from Hero Arts which I embossed in gold on black cardstock.

There you have it! My Black Friday was spent making cards with an underlying theme of , well, black.

If you have any interest in rubber stamping, scrapbooking or paper crafts in general, I suggest you have a look at the Technique Junkies website and consider subscribing to Pat's wonderful newsletter.

4 comments:

Shirley said...

What lovely, elegant cards Vicki. You are an artist with no end of talent in sight!!! TFS

kim* said...

lovely i want to say too. They are so elegant.

Diane said...

Your cards are really nice! I love them all but my fave is the middle one.

Daria said...

These are terrific. I love all three.